The concept is simple, the rewards are priceless. Read a book, any book, to your newborn, infant and/or toddler. The goal is to have read 1,000 books (yes, you can repeat books) before your precious one starts kindergarten.
Does it sound hard?
Not if you really think about it. If you read just 1 book a night, you will have read 365 books in a year. That’s 730 books in two years and 1,095 books in three years!
How to participate
- Sign up at your local Lincoln County Library branch or online here.
- Read with your child as often and as much as you can.
- Track your reading. Keep a record of what you are reading in a spiral notebook, on our convenient reading log sheets, or online via Beanstack.
- Earn milestone prizes along the way. For every 100 books ready, stop by the library to claim your prize!
- Who can participate in the is program? Any child ages 0 to 5 can participate in the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten.
- How long will the program take? The program will take anywhere from a few months to a few year. The program is self-paced and dependent on how much you read together.
- How do I keep track of my child’s reading? Pick up a reading log at your local branch or download one here. Or download our free Beanstack app. It’s easy to use, has an ISBN scan feature and you can manage all of your readers in your family on one account!
- 20 Ways to Raise a Book Smart Baby (pdf)
- Book List for 0-24 month-olds (pdf)
- Book List for 2-3 year-olds (pdf)
- Book List for 4-5 year-olds (pdf)