All electronic traffic originating from the Lincoln County Public Libraries public access computers shall be in accordance with these Acceptable Use Policies. Failure to abide by these policies will result in the loss of Internet orLibrary privileges.
Use of the Internet Public Access Computers shall be guided by the following principles:
- Respect for the privacy of other users.
- Attention to the legal protection provided by copyright and license to programs and data.
- Consideration for the integrity of computing systems; for example, users shall not develop programs that harass other users or infiltrate a computer or computing system, or damage or alter the software components of this or other computing systems.
- Responsible use of appropriate sites is required of users.
1. It is not acceptable to use the Internet access computers for any purposes which violateU.S.or state laws, or county ordinances, to transmit or receive threatening, obscene, or harassing materials, or to interfere with or disrupt network users, services or equipment. Disruptions include, but are not limited to: distribution of unsolicited advertising, propagation of computer worms and viruses, and using the network to make unauthorized entry to any other machine accessible via the network.
2. Users may not represent themselves as another person.
3. It is assumed that information and resources accessible via the Internet are private to the individuals and organizations which own or hold rights to those resources and information, unless specifically stated otherwise by the owners or holders of rights. It is therefore not acceptable for an individual to use the Internet to access information or resources unless permission to do so has been granted by the owners or holders of rights to those resources or information.
4. Use of the Internet access computers and any attached network in a manner that precludes or significantly hampers its use by others is not allowed.
5. Unsolicited advertising is not acceptable. Advertising is permitted on some mailing lists and news groups if the mailing list or news group explicitly allows advertising. Announcements of new products or services are acceptable.
Modifications to this policy
Lincoln CountyLibraryreserves the right to modify this policy at any time.