The library supports the principles of Intellectual Freedom inherent in the First Amendment of the Constitution of theUnited Statesand expressed in theLibraryBill of Rights of the AmericanLibraryAssociation.
In the case of an objection to library materials the following procedure will be implemented:
1. The library staff will try to handle the question on an informal basis and present the Selection Policy.
2. If the complainant wishes to present a formal complaint, the Director will explain the procedure and have complainant submit a “Request for Reconsideration ofLibraryMaterials” form.
3. The Director will inform the Chairman of theLibraryBoard. The questioned material will be available for use during the reconsideration process.
4. An Ad Hoc Review Committee consisting of the following will review the completed form:
2 Library staff members (Director as one)
2 Library Board members
1 FVCC/LCC staff member
1 Community member proposed by the Committee
1 person will chair the Committee in a non-voting capacity
5. The review committee will follow these steps:
a) Read, view, and/or listen to the challenged material in its entirety
b) Check acceptance of the material by reading reviews and consulting recommended lists
c) Determine the extent to which the material supports theLibrarySelection Policy.
d) Present a decision to the Director within 20 working days of the receipt of the form.
6. The Director will promptly notify the complainant of the committee’s decision. If the complainant contests the decision of the review committee, he/she may present the complaint to the Board of Trustees for final review.